Sunday, January 18, 2009

Cold Winter Ride

I went for a mountain bike ride yesterday on my local trails. I haven't rode these trails in a few weeks due to heavy snows in late December followed by heavy rains in the first week of January. I wasn't sure what to expect. It was below freezing when we left the trailhead and rode up the logging roads that lead to the trails. Quickly it became clear that we were going to encounter two things. First, despite the warm rains in January...there was still a lot of snow on the ground (which was now frozen solid). The other was how much downed foliage was going to be on the trails.

My riding partner and I did not bring any trail tools, but we made every effort to remove as much downed foliage as we could during our ride. Other than the logging road, I don't think there was a stretch longer than 200 yards on the trails before we had to stop and remove downed tree branches and sometimes entire trees. So I don't think we actually rode more than 5 miles on the actual bike. That is OK though, sometimes you have to pay your dues. I think I will get myself a pair of pruning shears and carry them on my rides for the next few months as it is going to take a lot of work to clear the trails.

BTW-ran the Nevegals at 28psi and they worked great, I might even lower them to 25psi for the next ride. Great traction, the ghetto tubeless is working great.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.