OK, since the trails are going to be closed until probably this fall...and I've been suffering from a chest cold...I got bored. So I decided to put my fall tires on, a pair of Kenda Klaw 29" x 1.95" tires setup with a Gorilla Tape tubeless method. I've already have done this setup with my Tubeless Ready Stans Raven tires, but in the spirit of being "Ghetto" I chose to make my own valve stems instead of using the Mavic ones I have.
First, making the valve stem. I cut a valve stem out of an old regular weight tube.
Notice the locknut...this is a reducing locknut since my rims are drilled for Schrader valves.
Next I tape the rim with one layer of Gorilla Tape 1" wide, overlaping the valve stem hole. Make sure to tape carefully to ensure no air bubbles and the tape is centered. Once taped, press the tape firmly down onto the rim pushing out any air bubbles. You then punch a hole in the tape at the valve stem with an awl. (note, my rim was taped several weeks ago so you'll just have to use your imagination here).
Now take you valve stem and place a little sealant around the base. Install into rim ensuring that the rubber base can sit flush in your rim. Tighten as tight as possible with fingers...no tools needed.
The rest is just like my Ghetto Tubeless pictoral. Soap up the beads and hit the compressor. The Kenda Klaw seated very quickly but had numerous pin holes in the sidewalls that leaked very fast. Once seated, I broke the bead in one spot opposite of the valve and installed sealant. Because these tires leaked so bad, I put in 4 oz of sealant in each (I only used 2oz in the Stans Tires). It took lots of shaking and laying on their sides on a bucket to get these tires to seal but 24 hours later they are holding air. I'd like to get some removable valve core stems or even some bolt on Schrader Valves (update, Schwalbe tubes have bolt schrader valves) but for now this will work. Since I already had my sealant and plenty of dead tubes sitting around...I'm in $2.99 for the Gorilla Tape 1" x 30' roll. Pretty Cheap!