Saturday, November 28, 2009

Electrolyte Drink Mix

Since I'm in the habit of making my own tire sealant and chain lube, I thought I'd share my recipe for an electrolyte energy drink that I have been using for a couple years. After years of spending $15-$25 for 30-40 serving cans of electrolyte mix that promises to do this or that, I came up with a very simple, effective, and cheap recipe. One thing I personally wanted was a lower sodium, higher potassium recipe...but if you like more sodium there is a provision for that as well.


Kool Aid Electrolyte Mix (makes 32 servings)
-4 packets of unsweetened Lemonade (which is natural flavored) Kool Aid
-32oz (4 cups) of Organic Evaporated Cane Juice
-1 tsp of Baking Soda
-1 tsp of Nu Salt

Content per serving (2 tbsp of mix)
-90 calories
-37.5 mg Sodium
-100 mg Potassium
-22.5 grams Carbs
-10% vitamin C

The Baking Soda both adds Sodium and also acts as a stomach buffer. This is real nice if you suffer from upset stomach while riding (as I occasionally do). If you desire more sodium in the mix, add 1/2 tsp salt to the mix which will increase the sodium to 73.5 mg per serving.

I usually don't mix full strength, more like 4 tbsp per 24 oz water bottle. This seems to work really nice. Also, you might be tempted to try other flavors of Kool Aid, but be cautious...I tried this and found most had a terrible after-taste from the artificial flavorings. The Lemonade flavor is actually natural flavored and doesn't have that bitter after-taste. The total cost was $4 per 32 serving mix...less if you choose to use regular sugar (though the evaporated cane juice seems to have a more mellow taste).

2 comments:

  1. If you would like to add more calories without making it sweeter try some maltodextrin from your local home brew shop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good suggestion, I'll look into it.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.