Thursday, December 10, 2009

PNW Winter Riding Gear

It's cold outside, very cold for the PNW...but dry. This got me thinking about winter riding gear for mountain biking. I'd love to have a pair of winter shoes, but alas that is not in the budget. I do however have a pair of older Diadora shoes that are pretty loose fitting that become my winter mountain biking shoe because I can use thicker socks in them without cutting off circulation in my foot. On top of that, I also wear Gore-Tex oversocks for both waterproofing and for heat retention. My socks are always at least a 50% wool blend, man has yet to come up with a better sock material than wool. On my hands are usually my trusty Fox Polar Paws. They're about $40 but my pair are seeing their 6th winter and don't look worse for wear. They are warm without being bulky (I hate bulky gloves) and reasonably water resistant, only getting wet in the worst downpours yet still providing insulation. For my tops, I start with a synthetic mesh base tank top. Then I layer a wool jersey over the top of that and use my wool arm warmers. In heavy rain I have a Race Face waterproof/breathable (which is a farce mostly) jacket but most of the time I use a light LL Bean softshell jacket that is significantly more breathable than anything waterproof yet still repels light rain and mist. For my bottoms I start with my good cycling shorts or bibs. On top of that, I have a pair of thermal tights that work well. I don't bother with waterproof pants, not breathable enough and I generally am not bothered by cold legs. On my head I have a synthetic Helly Hansen LIFA skull cap that covers my ears and fits nicely under my helmet.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.