Sunday, June 6, 2010

Wet and Soggy ride with a gimpy fork

Well it's June but you wouldn't know it here in the PNW. We had 20 days of rain that ended yesterday only to wake up and find it pouring this morning! I finally got the motivation at 11am and headed out. It was too warm to wear rain gear so I just had to get wet. The ride was fine except my fork felt horrible. At first I kept checking to see if I had a flat on my front tire. The front end just felt mushy, but the tire was fine. I figured I just didn't get the air pressure right, but the sag looked fine and it wasn't bottoming out. On the ride back to the parking area on the logging road at Stella, I'd had enough and went to lock the fork out (which I never do). This is when I realized the problem, the damper was not working. No adjustment made a difference.

So after getting home I tore down the fork, but really didn't see any leaks. But the fork is two years old and I haven't ever serviced the damper (I service the lowers and Solo Air every year). So 130 cc's of Torco RFF 7wt and all is working again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.