Tuesday, April 19, 2011

The Making of a Huffy 29er

OK, it isn't really a Huffy...but the welds and "craftsmenship" from the Chinese factory are not far off. The bike started out as a Dawes Bullseye from Bikes Direct for $350. Here is what it looks like stock, notice the lack of decals which I liked.

After receiving the bike, I sold the Avid BB5 brakes (with 160 Avid rotors and adapters I had sitting around) to a friend who was in need of some disc brakes cheap. I sold the wheelset and crankset/bb to another guy that I know from a few rides in my area. I had a good collection of parts left over from my Access XCL 9r that broke. First thing was to make a 1 x 9 out of it as I am not quite ready for a singlespeed (maybe later). I installed my Truvativ FireX GXP crankset with a 32t Salsa unramped ring and BBG Bash up front. Next I installed a rear SLX/DT 470 wheels in the back and a Wheeltech (Novatec)/WTB SpeedDisc XC wheels up front secured with bolt on skewers. The rear SLX hub uses a Alligator centerlock adapter. 185mm disc rotors were used with my Avid Juicy 5 brakes complete with obnoxious orange housing which seems fitting for looking like a clunker. A mid cage X-7 rear derailleur with a older X-9 shifter were installed with some Origin-8 Space Bar OR handlebars. So now I had a 1 x 9 setup, but one thing was missing...Huffy Decals!!! Yes I found a set on E-Bay complete with 4130 Cro-Mo advertising which is what the frame is. Perfect!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.